Saturday, July 19, 2014

Dining Out: Rosemary's Before & After

Today I walked over to Rosemary's in Greenwich Village for brunch. The Italian restaurant is a great spot for a summer meal. With outdoor seating, open windows that invite a nice light breeze, and a nautical interior, there's something very easy and relaxed about this trendy atmosphere.


When I woke up this morning I walked over to The Bean for an iced coffee with a splash of soy milk (soy milk acts as my sweetener instead of having milk with a Raw Sugar packet) and a Chobani 0% Blueberry Greek Yogurt

I knew I was going to brunch so I wanted to keep my breakfast light so I could enjoy a nice meal out but didn't want to arrive at the restaurant starved. You are more likely to pick and indulge when you are hungry.

The menu was full of great choices. I do have to be honest, it wasn't the easiest thing finding something healthy to eat. I did find a delicious option though.

I ordered the Oyster Mushroom, Prosciutto, and Poached Eggs, a Rosemary favorite and specialty. 

Why I chose this meal:

1. Poached eggs are cooked in water instead of being scrambled in cream and butter or cooked sunny side up in olive oil or butter in a frying pan. 

2. When reading the menu I looked for items that don't include carbs such as pasta, risotto, and rice or carbs that are difficult to pick around. If my meal came with bread or potatoes it would be easy for me to push them aside.

What I was served:

1. It came with fried onions and crispy potatoes which I was not expecting

2. The oyster mushroom (shredded and sauteed to mimic the texture of pasta) was drenched in olive oil

Solution: 

I decided to cut my meal in half and push the potatoes and fried onions to the side. 

Prosciutto is a fattier ham so I decided to have only one egg and a couple slices of prosciutto.  

The meal was so tasty that I did not feel deprived by leaving half of my meal on my plate. I actually felt in control and self satisfied. 

Life's Lesson:

You don't have to eat everything on your plate when your out out. Since restaurant food has a lot of hidden calories leaving half behind is really like having a full healthy portion rather than double the food. 

You'll leave the restaurant proud, satisfied (not overly stuffed leaving you discouraged) and guilt free.


Before:


After:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!